Friday, January 4, 2008

and the tea cozy pulls ahead at the last turn

Several days ago we had a decently sized snowfall--a wet warm sort of snow that is great for building snowmen in and has a tendency to coat the branches of trees with several inches of whiteness, and then it got very cold very quickly, creating what the ski industry calls a "bulletproof" snowpack. The dense wet snow has frozen as hard as concrete and its not going anywhere. While this might be unpleasant in some circumstances (say, shoveling my back stairs) it has had the effect of turning the whole world into a white-rimmed fairy-land: there is a 4 or 5 inch coating of snow on anything big enough to hold it: the branches of trees, fence tops and exterior molding on buildings--its really very beautiful. Its a little cold at the moment (hovering around 6 degrees above zero fahrenheit) so I haven't really been out to enjoy it, but just driving my car to and from work its been quite uplifting to look at.
I've been on my own all week--all of the people I live with are off on various holiday and family type visits and so it has been very quiet and I find I'm enjoying it and at the same time wondering what I would do with myself if I lived on my own all the time. I've rented movies and re-arranged all of my furniture, created detailed point lists of things I want to get done and hung out with my cats. I long for bargain basement genre fiction to fill my time with but have yet to go and purchase any (hasn't stopped me from looking at amazon longingly though). Perhaps tonight will be the night--I have a single semi-firm plan for the weekend which leaves me with plenty of time between now and Saturday at 6:30 so perhaps the siren call will finally be answered.
Or maybe I'll just hang out with my cats some more and read one of the many fine nonfiction books I was given for christmas.
Its not that they are not wonderful--I love good information and I got a lot of it, on several subjects that are of interest to me--its just that sometimes a girl wants a little fantastical adventure in her life, a little peculiar happening and out-of-the-ordinary excitement, and at the same time to snuggle under covers and stay in one spot with tea and a kitten. You know what I mean? I hope someone does.

No comments: