Thursday, January 3, 2008

pieces of pie

A lot of hype about new year's resolutions goes on at this time of year. There are lots of deals to be had at gyms and the anti-smoking hot line has increased its staff in the hopes of a flood of callers hoping to kick a habit in the new year.
I enjoy writing lists, generally, so of course I make a list of goals / wishes / plans / hopes for the coming year: Things I want to do or stop doing generally, and sometimes it isn't bounded by the calendar year. I like three year plans and five year plans as much as I like plans for the new year.
In general my goals tend to be pretty basic I think: the growth of my net worth, the shrinking of my debts, dropping 10 or 15 pounds (I have managed, once, to do this, but it didn't last long my body is pretty set in its weight, and as I'm not technically overweight I don't tend to worry about it: I'm at the high-middle of my BMI range, and I'd like to get to the low end and stay there for awhile, if it were possible), getting ahead career-wise and taking up some new extracurriculars (sewing, and possibly a martial art of some sort).
As far as plans, I'm going to run a couple of ten-milers in February, possibly a half marathon in April, a 10k in August and possibly part of a marathon (as a relay team member) in October.
I've got a wedding to go to in April, in California, which is why the 1st half is a maybe, and hopefully plans to go visit a good friend I haven't seen in a while in Raleigh this winter, which is still very up in the air. The over-arching point of all the planning is not to dwell on the boy who is leaving me at the end of the month. That part sucks, but I am looking forward at this point to having the time to myself. I'm trying to look at it as an opportunity rather than a loss. I'm hoping that will make things easier. This isn't really much like a list, but it is what I want my year to look like: filled with activities I like and activity in general. You won't find me sitting still, no siree.
And thats the way I like it.

No comments: